NHBS 1/I Vol. 1: General correspondence files.
Scope and Contents
These records form part of the Western Pacific Archives (MSS & Archives 2003/1).
- 1907 - 1914
- New Hebrides. British Service. Office of the Resident Commissioner (Organization)
- Great Britain. High Commission for Western Pacific Islands (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
RESTRICTED. Access requires the permission of the Special Collections Manager.
The New Hebrides British Service was established under the Anglo-French New Hebrides Convention of 1906 which provided for joint rule of the New Hebrides by France and Great Britain. It formed part of the Western Pacific High Commission with a Resident Commissioner in Port Vila reporting to the High Commissioner, until the Commission ceased in 1978. The New Hebrides was renamed Vanuatu at independence in 1980.
11.8 metres (59 boxes)
Language of Materials
In off-site storage. Expect delay of 12-24 hours from time of order.
Using this inventory.
This inventory is based on one prepared by archivists in the 1970s when the Western Pacific Archives (WPA) were housed in Fiji. It is a detailed listing of this sub-group of the archives, and is the main means for locating material at the folder or item level.
The original correspondence registers and indexes (NHBS 1/II) are listed at the end of the inventroy for with NHBS 1/I Vol.3
- Great Britain. Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Organization)
- Inventory of the New Hebrides British Service general correspondence files (NHBS 1/I Vol 1).
- Western Pacific Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- June 2018.: Finding aid generated from ArchivesSpace by Stephen Innes
Part of the Western Pacific Archives, University of Auckland Repository
5 Alfred Street
Private Bag 92019
Auckland 1010 New Zealand
+64 9 9238060