BCT 4: Records.
Scope and Contents
I. Passports and Certificates of Identity. 1916-1964. II. Special and Advance Warrants. 1930-1954. III. Papers relating to Estates administered by HBM Consul in Tonga. 1907-1968. IV. Miscellaneous items. 1884-1964. V. Drawings and plans. 1930-1955. These records form part of the Western Pacific Archives (MSS & Archives 2003/1).
- 1884 - 1968
- Great Britain. Consulate (Nuku'alofa, Tonga) (Organization)
- Great Britain. High Commission for Western Pacific Islands (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
RESTRICTED. Access requires the permission of the Special Collections Manager.
Although Tonga has been a constitutional monarchy since 1875, under treaties of friendship of 1879 and 1900 the kingdom ceded control of its foreign affairs to Great Britain represented by the British Agent and Consul who reported to the High Commissioner for the Western Pacific. This situation remained until 1970 when Tonga became fully independent.
Language of Materials
In off-site storage. Expect delay of 12-24 hours from time of order.
- Inventory of British Agent and Consul, Tonga, records, subject prefix series (BCT 4).
- Western Pacific Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- May 2018.: Finding aid edited and generated from ArchivesSpace by Stephen Innes
Part of the Western Pacific Archives, University of Auckland Repository
5 Alfred Street
Private Bag 92019
Auckland 1010 New Zealand
+64 9 9238060