BCT 3: Secret and confidential correspondence files, subject prefix series.
Scope and Contents
These records form part of the Western Pacific Archives (MSS & Archives 2003/1).
- 1916 - 1968
- Majority of material found within 1954 - 1968
- Great Britain. High Commission for Western Pacific Islands (Organization)
- Great Britain. Consulate (Nuku'alofa, Tonga) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
RESTRICTED. Access requires the permission of the Special Collections Manager.
Biographical / Historical
Although Tonga has been a constitutional monarchy since 1875, under treaties of friendship of 1879 and 1900 the kingdom ceded control of its foreign affairs to Great Britain represented by the British Agent and Consul who reported to the High Commissioner for the Western Pacific. This situation remained until 1970 when Tonga became fully independent.
3.5 metres (17 boxes)
Language of Materials
In off-site storage. Expect delay of 12-24 hours from time of order.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Formally transferred by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office to the University Library on 9 October 2002.
- Inventory of records of the Secret and confidential correspondence files, subject prefix series, of the British Agent and Consul, Tonga (BCT 3).
- Western Pacific Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Western Pacific Archives, University of Auckland Repository
5 Alfred Street
Private Bag 92019
Auckland 1010 New Zealand
+64 9 9238060