Fergus Sheppard New Zealand architects and buildings collection (the Sheppard Collection)
Scope and Contents
Fergus Sheppard's keen interest in New Zealand's architectural heritage led him to create his own vertical file of architects and buildings. These files include photographs, newspaper clippings, and journal articles on specific architects and their work.
- Majority of material found in 1920s-2010s
- Sheppard, Fergus George Frederick (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
Fergus George Frederick Sheppard (1908-1997) worked extensively throughout New Zealand designing science schools at Canterbury, Auckland and Waikato universities, and has overseas work in Antarctica, Australia, the Pacific, Japan, Europe and London.
In 1959 he was appointed the government architect and remained in that role until his retirement in 1971. During his time in this capacity he was involved with the design of the Beehive, the Auckland Airport, and Middlemore Hospital.
He was chairman of the Wellington Branch of the Institute of Architects and went to hold key roles with the New Zealand Institute of Architects at national level.
50 metres (64 filing cabinet drawers, 32 card index drawers, 6 boxes.)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into two series: Architects and Practices, and Buildings Registers. Items within these series are filed in alphabetical order, retaining the original vertical file arrangement. File dates refer to the content of the files rather than the dates of the architect's birth/death or career.
Access by appointment only due to storage location.
- Inventory of the Fergus Sheppard New Zealand architects and buildings collection (the Sheppard Collection).
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Architecture Archive, University of Auckland Repository
5 Alfred Street
Private Bag 92019
Auckland 1142 New Zealand